Monday, February 25, 2008

Great Lesson


Tonight Lane and I went to an FCA fundraising dinner for the Buford City Schools FCA clubs. It was such a great time to hang out with new and good friends Steve and Jill Colsson. Stuart Hall, 7 Checkpoints author and Big Stuff speaker, gave a great talk but it was an early part of an illustration that caught my attention. What do you think?

In the early part of his college career Stuart transferred from Alabama to another smaller school. There, the chaplain of the basketball team had chapel every week. The only attender of chapel every Wednesday? Stuart Hall. What do you think the chaplain thought about his realm of influence during those years? Do you think he thought that one day, this young guy he was discipling would someday write some of the most important stuff for a generation of youth workers? Who has had more influence? The chaplain or Stuart Hall?

I would argue that their influence, despite the disparity in numbers, is equal.

So, who are you influencing???

1 comment:

betsy said...

great observation...

I have long maintained that we (people in general) care too much for numbers. (Numbers being a way for us to measure - Right Now.) I think that it's because we think short term and about things we see. Instead of dwelling in a long term realm that takes the unseen into consideration. I have about 2 (okay 5) favorite soap boxes. And this comment would put me on a soapbox! (maybe 2...)

We (again, humans in general) want to understand before we obey. We want reassurance of success before we continue forward in anything difficult. And we want someone to tell us we're okay and on track - which sometimes we use numbers to do (accurately? hmmmm...)

In my garden, things look dead before they grow.
In my studio, the artistic process defies quantification.
In my motherhood, the thanks don't come for 21 years. (well, they start trickling in around year 14...) ;)