Sunday, April 15, 2007

What I Learn From Middle School Students

Today it occured to me as I was listening to my students pray for their friends who were on their way to church that sometimes my prayer life and my idea of how to pray can become jaded. I listened to them pray with such intensity and sincerity for God to move and show up. When they pray, they believe. I am not saying that I don't believe when I pray, but sometimes my belief is down-graded to slight hope. My prayers end up being hopeful cliches that will or will not affect the outcome of what is being prayed. My students really believe what they pray...and when they pray, God shows up. I think there is something to be said about the prayer of a righteous man.

Paul says that God hears the prayers of a righteous man, so I ask,

"What makes us righteous?"

There is nothing that we do besides believe makes us right before God. After all, it was His son that did all the work for our relationship, so what can we then do to become righteous? I don't think being righteous means being perfect. If that were true then when would any of our prayers be heard? I think that what makes us righteous is the same thing that makes us right- our belief. So that being said, it is our belief that makes our prayers heard.

No comments: