Friday, August 22, 2008

how to pray

recently been struggling with the idea of prayer. it is a DEEP subject and i think my shallow mind is striving to dive just a little deeper in my spiritual life and walk with Jesus. here's what i think...

i must approach prayer with the idea that it represents my open or closed hands about the things, people, and situations in my life that i sometimes mistakenly define as "mine." when i petition to God in prayer for "healing (haha- see post below)," or "blessing," it allows me to acknowledge that God is a HUGE part of my life and that these areas of my life are not grasped tightly, but allowed to be taken and given at HIS pleasure.

i don't think that's all but it's enough for me. right now.

b.

2 comments:

Fade to Black said...

Seems to me that prayer is more about surrender and intimacy than it is about petition. Good to keep looking at how to go deeper still, though, isn't it?

Brett Moore said...

i agree fade to black...but for me i think that i am finding that there is more security and intimacy when i know that my petition is at least heard than there was before.
i think i just want to know and hear an honest thought on prayer from someone that is deeper than a sunday morning quick reflection...or something that would sound good in a "chicken soup for the soul book," you know?
deeper reflection is good, i agree. i think if we are not asking the hard questions then the uncharted waters will remain that way.