Sunday, June 1, 2008

Crazy Review

I recently finished reading Crazy Love: Overwhelmed by a Relentless God by Francis Chan. The book provides many challenges to those of us who say we follow Jesus. The book also has a companion website that provides short videos from Francis Chan to add a little for body to each chapter in the book.

Here are a few quotes from the book:

What if I told you to stop talking at God for a while, but instead to take a long, hard look at Him before you speak another word?

In our world, where hundreds of things distract us from God, we have to intentionally and constantly remind ourselves of Him.

His perfect holiness, by definition, assures us that our words can’t contain Him. Isn’t it a comfort to worship a God we cannot exaggerate?

When I am consumed by my problems - stressed out about my life, my family, and my job - I actually convey the belief that I think the circumstances are more important than God’s command to always rejoice.

Do not assume you are good soil.

Has your relationship with God actually changed the way you live?

Lukewarm people don’t really want to be saved from their sin; they only want to be saved from the penalty of their sin.

God doesn’t just want us to have good theology; He wants us to know and love him.

… you have to stop loving and pursuing Christ in order to sin.

I believe these quotes will give you a good idea of the overall flavor of this book. Chan says that this book is for “…those who want more Jesus… who are bored with what American Christianity offers… who don’t want to plateau… who would rather die before their convictions do.”

His effort certainly succeeded in challenging me.

No comments: